Monday, May 19, 2014

Final Blogging Assessment in English 1B

     My book Flood Tide makes use of lots of strong vocabulary and includes several pieces of elevated diction. One example of elevated diction I found in this mysterious piece was, "The darkened windows rolled up, its occupants unseen, the car seemed as if it was part of a nocturnal funeral procession carrying mourners to a cemetery"(Cussler 56). This quote gives us a really elevated word like nocturnal to describe the car some unseen people are driving. Another reason this quote shows strong and even a little interesting vocabulary is the use of words like procession, occupants or mourners that are mildly advanced words that I at first glance failed to realize the meaning of one(I misunderstood the word procession at first). If you the reader are indeed interested, please comment below about whether or not you misunderstood any of these words and what you took them for.

     Another example of my book Flood Tide using high level vocabulary or strong diction is, "To the initiated, it was a classic act of interrogative coercion"(Cussler 32).This line of text from Flood Tide uses a word that I had no idea what the true meaning was until I later looked it up. The high level vocabulary example, coercion, made my mind fumble all over itself trying to find its hidden meaning and to me it was like finding a needle in a haystack, nearly impossible. Luckily for me however the internet gave us the true meaning of  the word coercion, the definition was "the practice of persuading someone to do something by using force or threats". This was no surprise due to the context of the text telling us it was a interrogative action. That I would need to look up definitions of the words in Flood Tide shows the kind of level of the vocabulary that is in almost every other paragraph or so in my independent reading novel Flood Tide.
Clive Cussler the author of Flood Tide

No comments:

Post a Comment