The book I have chosen to read this summer is Ship Breaker where the main characters I have found are the small boy called Nailer and his boss Pima who is also his elder. These two hard workers are members of a light crew who scavenge derelict tankers that have had rights claimed by greedy entrepreneurs. And all of this is taking place on the beautiful beach turned black and dotted with camps set up by light and heavy crews, Bright Sands Beach. Although they work hard they know if they are kicked out of light crew neither would last long, and so Nailer collects copper and Pima manages the crew so as to ensure they survival. Whilst reading I stumbled across something that really messed with me, Nailer' s father is Richard Lopez and even though that makes Lopez Nailer' s last name no one calls him by it not even the boss who owns the scavenge light crew. When I saw this I simply thought to myself what gives, is it not more common for a superior to call a subordinate by last name on the work area? Also I wanted to connect the feeling of isolation that is seen in the light crew from the mainland with rich people that the crew sees about and tells tales of like the fused in the book Pure and their views on those who lived in the dome member struggling to survive. Lastly I would like to end with a prediction I have for my current reading, a major storm has blown in and is greater than anticipated, Nailer seeks shelter with Pima and her grandmother only to be separated as the grandmother ventures into the storm to save Nailer' s drunken father from their flooding shack. I believe the grandmother will disappear with the storm but a few days after will show up again with the dead father saying something along the lines of getting there too late and due to him being in a drunken stupor was unable to survive the vicious storm. Please leave your comments below of what you think will happen. p.s. the grandmother used to be heavy crew.
No comments:
Post a Comment