Tuesday, August 12, 2014

2014 Summer Reading fourth post

The reason I chose SHIP BREAKER out of all of those I could choose from was in part mostly to two reasons. The first and foremost reason I made my choice the way I did was because my primary choice was unavailable to me when I went to purchase a hard copy. The second reason was that at the service counter in the book store I talked to a woman that informed my mother and I about their lack of stock of my selected book was kind enough to pull up the list of books so I could choose another. After taking a minute and searching the monitor I made my decision based on the most fascinating name to me and received a brief description by the kind employee. After hearing her description and the word "pirates" my interest had me nearly begging for its location ( on the inside of course, we need our public appearances at the very least), and was settled the moment I saw the cover. However I was disappointed later in the reading that pirates are only mentioned not seen active in the novel. After reading and during my posting I pondered on any relationships I had with the novel and sadly could not come to a sort of realization or greater understanding of myself. If I were to specifically target a reading audience to recommend the novel I chose it would be to those interested in seeing the differences in the social class at the top and bottom of the society at almost every aspect, and the challenge one faces when dealing with unrealistic disadvantages and being hunted by dangers known only to those that survive them. This going into the challenges Mailer the main character faces and overcomes when he finds his "lucky strike".


P.S.    read the book to get the lucky strike business, or feel forever foolish about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment